Friday, September 10, 2010

Being Unique

The Road Not Taken by Robert Frost is probably my favorite poem. Ever.




Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood

And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;        5



Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,

Because it was grassy and wanted wear;

Though as for that the passing there

Had worn them really about the same,        10




And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.

Oh, I kept the first for another day!

Yet knowing how way leads on to way,

I doubted if I should ever come back.        15



I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—

I took the one less traveled by,

And that has made all the difference.        20


(Taken from http://www.bartleby.com/119/1.html)




 It talks about taking the road less traveled. It's about taking a risk and being different.
I've been told that I'm different. I know I'm different. Sometimes I want to be the same as everyone else... it's so tempting. But then I remember that the world doesn't want more people like me. The world wants someone who is different.


Romans 12:2 says to "not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind"

Believe me, there are days that I just want to fall into the patter of the world, but I know that I've been called to be different. That I'm set apart. That God has great things in store for my life that can't be accomplished if I'm the same as everyone else. 

1 Peter 2:9 says "But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light."


I'm trying to be different. It's hard, but in the end it'll all be worth it.


No comments: