Sunday, September 5, 2010

NIPTO, Day 210

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh.
Today was fantastic.

We did music at church today and I sang! Just sang. No bass. It was really fun!
Annnd we just kinda hung out after church for a while, and then we came home, ate lunch...  not sure what we did after that... then we went on a walk and then I hijacked Kayt and we sat on the porch and talked and she texted her boyfriend... then I came home and we went to Kent and Mom and I babysat for Brooklynn (2ish), Carter(4ish), Madalyn(9monthsish), and Mason(6months). Suuuch cute kids. All really good kids too :)
Thennnnn all the parents came and picked up the kids and I got to hold baby Micah! He's two and a half weeks old and is simply adorable!
Then we trekked home and ate eggs and bacon (we were hungry!) annnd CAKE! Yum. Yeah.
Annnnd. Caught up with Katie a little bit. She's home for Labor Day. But not the weekend. Just Labor Day :)

Tomorrow a few of the Karen girls are coming over... and I think we're going to do some homework help. It's going to be pretty chill.
No school tomorrow. I'm actually kind of bummed. I have all my homework done and it's not even due until next Monday! Oh well. :) I get to go to BoW on Wednesday again :)
I like my schedule this year. And I'm really excited for dance to start! It's going to be a good school year.

NIPTO. Or a video. Video!
The Call. Regina Spektor. Fantastic! Love this song. My cousin did a cover of it that I'm going to listen to when I'm done listening to the original. :)


Okay. Now NIPTO.
Acts 23:1-11

 1Paul looked straight at the Sanhedrin and said, "My brothers, I have fulfilled my duty to God in all good conscience to this day." 2At this the high priest Ananias ordered those standing near Paul to strike him on the mouth. 3Then Paul said to him, "God will strike you, you whitewashed wall! You sit there to judge me according to the law, yet you yourself violate the law by commanding that I be struck!"
Paul was being questioned by the Sanhedrin and Paul just told them that he felt like he had done what he needed to do and had a clear conscience. (I can always spell conscience because it's a con-science ;))
The high priest guy ordered the people around Paul to smack him. And then Paul told them that God would smite them. I mean... uh... strike them for judging without following the laws they were judging in the first place. 
They were breaking the law by commanding the people to hit Paul. Wow. Reprimand to the X-Treme. 


 4Those who were standing near Paul said, "You dare to insult God's high priest?"
 
5Paul replied, "Brothers, I did not realize that he was the high priest; for it is written: 'Do not speak evil about the ruler of your people.'"
The people around him were amazed that he would talk to the high priest like that, but the fact of the matter was that Paul didn't know that that was the high priest. I think they really should've kept Paul better informed!


 6Then Paul, knowing that some of them were Sadducees and the others Pharisees, called out in the Sanhedrin, "My brothers, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee. I stand on trial because of my hope in the resurrection of the dead." 7When he said this, a dispute broke out between the Pharisees and the Sadducees, and the assembly was divided. 8(The Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, and that there are neither angels nor spirits, but the Pharisees acknowledge them all.)
Paul knew that some people in the Sanhedrin were Sadducees and some were Pharisees. And Paul himself was a Pharisee, his father was a Pharisee. He was on trial because he had a belief. This weekend while Hannah's been home, she'll randomly ask me "What do you believe?" And I'll respond with something like "God" or "that smiles have more power than we could ever imagine." 
People get in an uproar when you believe in definites. No matter what they are, really. If it's definite, it can cause commotion.
And when Paul said that he believed something, everyone got into arguments. The Pharisees and Sadducees believed different things about resurrection and other subjects. So everyone was divided.


 9There was a great uproar, and some of the teachers of the law who were Pharisees stood up and argued vigorously. "We find nothing wrong with this man," they said. "What if a spirit or an angel has spoken to him?" 10The dispute became so violent that the commander was afraid Paul would be torn to pieces by them. He ordered the troops to go down and take him away from them by force and bring him into the barracks.
There was a huge commotion and some people were for Paul and others were against him. 
Things got so crazy and so violent that they had to take Paul away.


 11The following night the Lord stood near Paul and said, "Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome."
And then God told Paul that he needed to do the same thing in Rome that he had just done.
I'd be freaked out, but God said "Take courage!" That's one reason to not be freaked out. When God gives you a command like that, it's important to follow it. Believe that God will do what is best and will protect you. 




The end.

Now I'm listening to another Regina Spektor song. I like it too. So I'll post it too. :D



Adios! Hope you had a good Sunday! Enjoy your day tomorrow :)

No comments: