Monday, September 13, 2010

NIPTO, Day 218

Hey y'all! (I'm feeling my southern family influences right now... :)

Today I went to school, went to study hall, talked to Bre and Sean for a long time, got almost everything done, realized that I didn't bring the geometry DVD that I needed, so I just did my geometry without actually watching the lesson. It wasn't too difficult.
Then it was lunchtime. So I ate outside with... everyone. And then it was time for American Lit which was really good... minus the fact that I forgot my homework! But my teacher is awesome and said I could just e-mail it to her. It was the first thing I did when I got home!
Then I took the dog for a short walk... read for a long time... talked to Katie on the phone for a long time (HEY-O!)... read some more... ate dinner... helped Mom clean up... went on a shortish walk b/c my back has been bothering me since last night (stupid slip'n'slide =P).
Then I came home and finally got on the computer for the first time today! I got through all the blogs from last night/today and through my facebook notifications (not going through all those updates. NOOOO way).

And now I'm eating melty mint chocolate chip ice cream with hot fudge and blogging!

I've gotten a lot of questions about what is this "blog" thing that you do. And It's kinda funny. Because I only half way know how to explain it. I guess I should tell them, "JUST READ IT!" because that's what it is every single day. Unless I venture out into a non-nipto post :) Which isn't very often. But it happens sometimes.

Okay. Wow. I just listened to this song. Shaun Groves is amazing. He wrote this while in Guatemala this past week. SO fantastic! Just listen to it. Even if you don't want to. It's amazing.
Come By Here-Shaun Groves

Amazing, no? YES.

NIPTO.
Acts 27:27-44
27On the fourteenth night we were still being driven across the Adriatic Sea, when about midnight the sailors sensed they were approaching land. 28They took soundings and found that the water was a hundred and twenty feet deep. A short time later they took soundings again and found it was ninety feet deep. 29Fearing that we would be dashed against the rocks, they dropped four anchors from the stern and prayed for daylight.


Okay. So they've been at sea for 2 weeks. And they finally sense that they're approaching land. And they're approaching land fast. They dropped four anchors and prayed for daylight. They hadn't really had light for a long time. Too wet. And too stormy. Daylight was something that they wanted so much that they prayed for it.




30In an attempt to escape from the ship, the sailors let the lifeboat down into the sea, pretending they were going to lower some anchors from the bow. 31Then Paul said to the centurion and the soldiers, "Unless these men stay with the ship, you cannot be saved." 32So the soldiers cut the ropes that held the lifeboat and let it fall away.


Some of the guys just wanted out and lowered a boat pretending that it was actually an anchor. Paul warned the guard that unless these guys stayed with them, they wouldn't be able to be saved. So they cut the ropes that held the lifeboat. Intense. But they listened to Paul. He had heard from God. 





 33Just before dawn Paul urged them all to eat. "For the last fourteen days," he said, "you have been in constant suspense and have gone without food—you haven't eaten anything. 34Now I urge you to take some food. You need it to survive. Not one of you will lose a single hair from his head." 35After he said this, he took some bread and gave thanks to God in front of them all. Then he broke it and began to eat. 36They were all encouraged and ate some food themselves.

Paul got them all to eat. No one had eaten in a long time because they were so stressed. No one was going to die. Or even lose a single hair from his head. So they all ate.


 37Altogether there were 276 of us on board. 38When they had eaten as much as they wanted, they lightened the ship by throwing the grain into the sea.
There were a lot of people on board that ship. They all ate as much as they wanted and threw the rest overboard to lighten the ship.


 39When daylight came, they did not recognize the land, but they saw a bay with a sandy beach, where they decided to run the ship aground if they could. 40Cutting loose the anchors, they left them in the sea and at the same time untied the ropes that held the rudders. Then they hoisted the foresail to the wind and made for the beach. 41But the ship struck a sandbar and ran aground. The bow stuck fast and would not move, and the stern was broken to pieces by the pounding of the surf.

A'ight. They saw a beach and decided to try to run the ship aground there if they could. 
They cut the anchors loose and got the sail up... and hit a sandbar. And got stuck. And the stern got all broken up by the surf. EEk.


 42The soldiers planned to kill the prisoners to prevent any of them from swimming away and escaping. 43But the centurion wanted to spare Paul's life and kept them from carrying out their plan. He ordered those who could swim to jump overboard first and get to land. 44The rest were to get there on planks or on pieces of the ship. In this way everyone reached land in safety.
They planned to kill the prisoners because they assumed that they would try to swim away and escape, but the centurion was awesome and wanted to save Paul in order to keep their plan of everyone surviving going. And, amazingly, everyone got to land safely. 


Whew. Time to sleep. Why is it always time to sleep?
Imma have to blog early tomorrow if at all possible... I leave at 2:30 and
probably won't get home until a little before 10. Urban Vision and dance start tomorrow! I'm psyched! :D

And for now... goodnight!

No comments: