Monday, April 12, 2010

I'm a Princess-Encounter62 April 11th

This is basically going to be my notes from last night's Encounter. With a little elaboration from what I remember but didn't write down :)

April 11, 2010 Encounter62: BKight
"Epic Series-Of Royal Blood: Sons and Daughters"

We are part of the family of God. Jesus was born of royal blood through the line of David. God promised David that if he became king his entire line would be royalty... if they followed him. Now Jesus is King forever.

God has adopted us into his royal fam[ily]. When we were adopted we were given a new life, a fresh start.

When it comes to adoption, the family who adopts a child chooses them. God chose us to be adopted into his family. He completed our adoption through Jesus' death. Also, part of our adoption is us choosing fully follow God.

John 18:33-37-

33Pilate then went back inside the palace, summoned Jesus and asked him, "Are you the king of the Jews?"
 34"Is that your own idea," Jesus asked, "or did others talk to you about me?"
 35"Am I a Jew?" Pilate replied. "It was your people and your chief priests who handed you over to me. What is it you have done?"
 36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."
 37"You are a king, then!" said Pilate.
      Jesus answered, "You are right in saying I am a king. In fact, for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."


Jesus clearly states here that he is a king.

Romans 8:16-17a-
16The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children.17Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ.


God agrees that we are his children not only that but we are his heirs. Co-heirs with Christ. So... God's king, Jesus is a prince, we're co-heirs with Christ/children of God which would make us princes and princesses. I've always known I was a princess... and that I'm adopted... (Long story. Not now. Maybe at the end of this post if I'm feeling ambitious.) Now we go back and look at these verses in a little more context. 


Romans 8:12-17a-
12Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. 13For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live, 14because those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. 15For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship.  And by him we cry, "Abba, Father." 16The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God's children. 17Now if we are children, then we are heirs—heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ


12-we have an obligation to live for God once we accept the adoption that he gives us.
13-If we do what we want to do, we'll die. Period. Buuut if we put to death the things of the flesh, we'll live. I wrote in my notebook: "If you put something to death it doesn't have the option of living itself out in your life." So if you put something to death in your life, it's gone for GOOD. 
14-Sons of God. Princes. Princesses. Privileged. Undeserving to be sons&daughters of God, but we are. 
15-We received the Spirit of God. If we have that we aren't bound to fear. Fear has no hold in our life. We receive sonship or adoption as sons in the NASB. I LOVE how that puts it. Because that's what we're talking about. It's fantastic and it gets even better. By the spirit we cry "Abba, Father." This word in Aramaic is translated to Daddy. Jesus uses this word in Gethsemane when he's crying out to God and pleading with him. He uses this term of familiarity: Abba (ἀββα). Daddy. We can use this phrase too! We're able to approach God with our arms outstretched and say "Daddy." How COOL is that?? He will pick you up and carry you if you need to be carried. He'll listen to your needs and he'll care for you. You don't need to be formal with God. He's all about familiarity. He wants to be close to you. If you come near to him, he will come near to you. 


I'm a princess. I think I might have to do a follow up post to this... Yup. It's late. I need to sleeep. 
School tomorrow... volunteering... Should be fantastic!

No comments: