Friday, April 2, 2010

NIPTO, Day 54

Jesus' arrest and trial
Matthew 26:47-27:26, Mark 14:43-15:15, Luke 22:47-23:25


Here's basically what happens in these verses: Jesus leaves Gethsemane and is arrested by the chief priests. His disciples leave him in fear, although Peter follows him to the high priest's courtyard. Jesus is taken to the high priest, the chief priests, the elders, and the teachers of the law who make up the Sanhedrin. Jesus is "tried" although he doesn't really say anything. Jesus is then taken to Herod but he can't find anything wrong with him so he sends him back to Pilate who was taking care of things before.
In the mean time, Peter disowns Jesus by declaring adamantly 3 times that he has no idea who this Jesus person is. He realizes what he has done and "weeps bitterly."
Pilate tries to get Jesus released. Every year at Passover time, they release one prisoner. The choices were Jesus and Barabbas. The people wanted to release Barabbas but Pilate, who couldn't find anything wrong with Jesus, wanted to have Jesus released. The more he pressed the crowd to release Jesus, the more they wanted Barabbas released. Pilate asked the people what he should do with Jesus since there was nothing wrong with him. "Crucify him!"


John 18:2-19:16

I was reading, right? Cuz that's what I do. And I came across a "new" section that I feel like I've never read before. It's John 18:15-16: Simon Peter and another disciple were following Jesus. Because this disciple was known to the high priest, he went with Jesus into the high priest's courtyard, but Peter had to wait outside at the door. The other disciple, who was known to the high priest, came back, spoke to the girl on duty there and brought Peter in. I feel like I've never read that before... it's so weird. But anyways. I feel like Pilate deserves some credit here. He didn't want to have Jesus crucified. He tried to prevent it. But the people overruled him. 
I was reading this and talking to my sister, Katie, a little bit who was sitting in the room. I was kind of ranting about how messed up this was. The chief priests and their officials were the ones who started yelling "Crucify him." How sad is that? The people who are "supposed" to be on Jesus' side were the ones who were against him. Hm...


I feel a little lame doing this, but I'm going to write about Jesus' crucifixion and burial tomorrow... even though he'll already be dead... heh. BUT:

I think it's time to answer the call of the smell of ham coming from downstairs... it smells delish and I'M HUNGRY! I hope you have a fantabulous Good Friday and that you're thinking about what really happened today so many years ago...
Keep thinking!

No comments: