Wednesday, April 14, 2010

NIPTO, Day 66

Youtube Video of the day: Everything Glorious by David Crowder*Band







Allllrighty. Today is Wednesday. You probably already knew that. I'm just clarifying for myself. Gotta get a lot of school done today... and I have a couple of letters I want to write... and I have dance class (aaaaalways a fun thing!) annd I want to sleep tonight. I don't want to go to bed after 11. I'd really love to come home from dance at around 8 and get ready for bed. I'm sounding lame... but dude. I'm tired. I haven't been able to type right for the past few days. I'm tired. I could hit snooze a thousand times... but that doesn't happen because I guess I'm disciplined enough to get up. Even when I'm tired. Have to fight the battle of the blankets.


I thought this was funny... conversation that happened yesterday at Urban Vision where I volunteer. I had just finished playing basketball with a few of the boys there and this conversation ensued. (2 boys in 4th and 5th grade... I think.)
Boys: Miss Abby, you should play women's basketball
Me: uh.. Really?
Boys: Yeah!
Me: I'm not tall...
Boys: You don't have to be tall... you could play point guard or something like that. 
Me:... uh..okay. Thanks?


Apparently I'm good at basketball and don't even know it. I mean, I did make half of our points (2 shots... woo) but still. I'm not that good at basketball. My friends would laugh if they heard this. They know I'm not good at basketball... haha. 


Okay... lets see if I can come up with anything serious after that! 



God's Wrath Against Mankind
That seems cheerful... not. 





18The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of men who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 


So this seems like the wrath of God is being shown to the people who know what is to be known about God, because he made it plain to them, but still suppress the truth. 




20For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.



Okay... I like how the NASB puts it: 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

So we understand God's power and his divine nature because of the things he created... like the earth and other human beings. I like this. We don't have excuses to use against God's invisible attributes or qualities because we've seen them and he made them understandable. 





 21For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 


They knew God.... They've turned away from him. Their hearts were darkened. The Greek word for darkened: skotizo-σκοτίζω meaning
2) to be covered with darkness, be darkened
a) of heavenly bodies as deprived of light


The second of the 2 meanings probably isn't what this is referring to, but I mean, it's the same word. So it does kind of mean that. But the part I liked about that was the "deprived of light" even though the people he's talking about have turned away, they're still depriving themselves of light. Make sense?


22Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 


Claiming to be wise is about the most foolish thing you can do. But a foolish person believes that they're wise in their own eyes... and it's pretty futile to argue with them.




23and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.


Glory. Reading and annotating Revelation 1 made me realize how glorious God is. We sing songs about glory but I don't think we fully get it. 
Immortal-this word stuck out to me. Jesus, when he was on earth before he died, was mortal. I think that a lot of people worship that Jesus. The mortal one. We need to worship God in is immortal glory. Not the mortal man (the other thing I had highlighted). Or any other mortal thing for that matter. 




 24Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.


God gave them over to their sinful desires. He kind of gave up on them. That, I think, is the ultimate wrath of God. To be given up on. It just seems extremely hopeless. 


They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie. God has so many truths. I mean, he is truth. How much more truthful can you get?!?!




 28Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. 


I'm making a sad face right now... can you picture it? Okay. Yeah. But they didn't think it was worthwhile to think about God. It's not worthwhile to think about anything else! So He gave them up. Again, it feel so hopeless.


29They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 


This isn't a comprehensive list. Unfortunately. This is a list of things we shouldn't be/do. I'm going to leave it at that.


32Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.


Messed. Up. That's what this is. There's no other way of putting this. 
M E S S E D  U P
They know these things are wrong. THey keep doing them. And they approve of other people who do these things too. No wonder they're getting the wrath of God. Crazy.


On a lighter note... my birthday is tomorrow! Sooo today is my last full day of being 15. In my 16th year. (=P) 
I told my dad this and he promptly began to sing me "Happy...." (Happy Birthday with nothing but the happy's... on your birthday, you get "Birthday" which is the same thing but different). Oh Fam[ily]. 

I don't really have anything planned for tomorrow... except a blizzard (I have a buy one get one free coupon from DQ for my birthday!) and maybe getting some Starbucks (Because I have free Starbucks too! Oh... I love coffee! and free stuff cuz it's your birthday.) 

I'm planning on chronicling my day in pictures. I did this on my 14th birthday and it was great fun. I'm also planning on wearing a tiara all day... if my sister doesn't have it... I hope she doesn't have it at school. I might have to ask my parents to get it while they're in Kent today if she does! haha. 

Oy vey. I'm crazy. But I guess I warned you of that in my "About Me" section =P 
Time to get started on school. YIPEE (I have NIPTO done and it's not even 9 am yet! I've gotta admit. I'm happy with myself)
Hope you have a good day! 

No comments: