Friday, July 2, 2010

NIPTO, Day 145

Hello!
Not much has happened since I last blogged... You know, from last night to this morning ;)

I'm watching the Netherlands vs Brazil game. Katie's watching this game in Germany with her roommate whose family is from the Netherlands. And I like having someone to root for... so GO ORANJE! :)

The Karen girls are coming over later... I think we're going to go swimming, eat dinner, watch a movie... they're spending the night. So Mom will probably take them back Saturday morning. Then we're going to rearrange my rooooom! =D
Can you tell I'm excited to rearrange my room? Probably not.

Booooooooooooo Brazil just scored. :( (this game has a plethora of fouls! It's crazy.)
(I missed the second half of the game, but Holland/Netherlands won! Yay! They play Uruguay soon.)

NIPTO time though :)

Acts 2:29-41
29"Brothers, I can tell you confidently that the patriarch David died and was buried, and his tomb is here to this day.

David's dead. Really. That's all.


30But he was a prophet and knew that God had promised him on oath that he would place one of his descendants on his throne. 31Seeing what was ahead, he spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay. 32God has raised this Jesus to life, and we are all witnesses of the fact. 33Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.

David might be dead, but he was a prophet. And he knew that what God promised, God did. David, hundreds and hundreds of years before Jesus was even born, spoke about his death and resurrection. He spoke about how Jesus wouldn't stay in the grave.
He's telling them a fact: God raised Jesus from the dead and we all saw it. These people would've known all about what had happened. So it just makes sense for Peter to tell them that.
Jesus is exalted to the right hand of God, and he received from God the Holy Spirit. He poured out what they could see&hear: the people speaking in lots and lots of different languages.



34For David did not ascend to heaven, and yet he said,

" 'The Lord said to my Lord:
"Sit at my right hand
35until I make your enemies
a footstool for your feet." '

David never went up to heaven, but he still knew that Jesus sat at the right hand of God. Because God told him so. (so there. hah)


36"Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ."

37When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?"

Peter told them that God has *present tense* made Jesus Lord and Christ.
So everyone heard this and they were affected by it. And they asked the apostles what they should do.


38Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call."

Peter told them what they can do. Repent. Be baptized to show your commitment. And be forgiven of your sins. When all that happens, we get the Holy Spirit.
This is for everyone. For all who are far off. For all whom the Lord our God will calll. Everyone.

40With many other words he warned them; and he pleaded with them, "Save yourselves from this corrupt generation." 41Those who accepted his message were baptized, and about three thousand were added to their number that day.

I wonder what other words he used to warn them and plead with them to save themselves from a corrupt generation. I feel like I'm living in a corrupt generation. Or a corrupted generation. Or at least one that is easily corrupted. Hm. I guess we won't know what he said. I just think it'd be interesting to know if we're missing something. *shrugs* I don't know!
But everyone who accepted what he said was baptized. Three thousand people. That's a TON of people! Crazy.


Ahhhhhh it turned into another late night of blogging. But whatever.
I have a little piece of news: I might be talking (sharing a "testimony") about NIPTO at LT! So that's kinda cool... just about what it is and how it's changed me.
It really has challenged me to be more like Jesus. I've done a lot more reading. A lot more looking into scripture. A lot more... STUFF. And not useless stuff either. Stuff that helps me figure out more of what God wants for me and for my life. It's pretty great. I'm glad I'm doing this. It's challenging. And sure, there might be nights where I'm up until past midnight blogging/reading, but it's so worth it. And I can tell it's going to be worth it in the long run.

Annnnnd in other news: I'm the person who gets into debates on facebook. I don't know WHY. I like to think that I'm a pretty non confrontational person. But somehow, I get into a debate/argument with someone! Maybe I'll write a separate post on this tomorrow if I have time. But we'll see. I also want to do a little research and write a post on consumerism. Heh. That might be more of a rambling rant, but we'll see how these things go.

I guess I'm going to go to sleep now... so
Tchuss! =P (My German knowledge coming into play!)

No comments: