Saturday, July 31, 2010

NIPTO, Day 174

Hello allllll.

Today was pretty busy. But it didn't seem too bad.

Got up... chilled for a while. Ate breakfast. Took a shower. Chilled for a little bit longer. Drove Mom&Dad to the bank... (Dad drove everywhere else) then to the Nickle's bread store (it smells SO good in there!) and the thrift store (to get some "short pant" and "sneaker" and a Bible for Ehne Thau... she leaves for camp tomorrow) I found a cute hoodie that's light pink and has blue owls on it. I like it. Mom found a couple of pairs of jeans... it was a very successful trip.
Then we went to Marcs... I got a new wallet (I've been looking for one of those flat ones... but they cost like, $12 at Target, and I didn't really want to spend that much on one... but they  had them for $3, so I got one) and Mom got M&M's (A must in our household, if you didn't know that already! =P)
I drove home from Marcs.
We ate lunch (leftover pizza) and then we taught Dad a little bit of the Dance Day dance (you can find the instructional video here) because today is National Dance Day and then I made brownies and Hannah and I got dressed in Panera uniforms (Polo, khaki pants, belt, hat) and recorded us doing the dance! It was fun...

I read some blogs... and then went to the church picnic! It was fun... I mostly hung out with Elysia and Rachel and Jon and Caleb and Miles. We had a good time. Ate food. Talked. They played cornhole. I took a bunch of pictures. Held Hailey. Took more pictures. Came home. Filled the neighbor's pond/watered plants. Read a book while waiting for the pond to fill. Walked home. Finished my book. Checked facebook, now this.
*yawn*
Tomorrow we have church... not sure if I'm helping with music... We'll see.

There was a quote in the book I was reading that I really liked. So I thought I'd share it with all o' y'all :)
"I guess at some point you just have to let go of what you thought should happen and live in what is happening."
A quote from "The Cupcake Queen" by Heather Hepler.

OH! We got an update from Katie today... she is currently in Cologne, Germany. She's staying with the pastor from the GCM church there. They'll be there until... Wednesday? Then they'll go to Brügge, Germany for a couple days and then they'll go to Amsterdam for a few days! And Katie'll be home in approximately (assuming she'll get in at/around 6 pm) 187 hours. =D I'm excited to see her.
You can read her update here (that's her blog. Here's today's post) :)

To be honest, I don't really feel like doing NIPTO. I think I might be able to count on 1 (or 2) hand(s) the number of times I haven't wanted to do NIPTO. Today is one of those days though. I'm tired. I'm still sick. (It's been 2 weeks, officially.) And I'm just plain "tard and feathered" But. I've made a commitment to do this and I'm going to do this. I can't guarantee how coherent or comprehensive this will be. I'll probably be lazy and won't pick things apart too much. But it's not really up to me. It's up to God. Soooooo here goes...

Acts 10:34-48
34Then Peter began to speak: "I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism 35but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right.

Alrighty. Peter is in Ceaserea with some people he wouldn't normally associate with, right? So he goes on to say that it's very true that God doesn't play favorites. He accepts anyone who trusts him and fears him and does what's right.
Do we accept everyone, regardless of nationality or position in life? Not usually... *sigh* And that's sad.


36You know the message God sent to the people of Israel, telling the good news of peace through Jesus Christ, who is Lord of all. 37You know what has happened throughout Judea, beginning in Galilee after the baptism that John preached— 38how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.

Now Peter kind of goes through and makes sure that they know what's been going on throughout Judea. That's basically what this right here is. Making sure they know who Jesus actually is and what he did.


 39"We are witnesses of everything he did in the country of the Jews and in Jerusalem. They killed him by hanging him on a tree, 40but God raised him from the dead on the third day and caused him to be seen. 41He was not seen by all the people, but by witnesses whom God had already chosen—by us who ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead.

Craziness. I'm not sure if this is a figure of speech or if they (the people in Ceaserea) were actual witnesses, but they were witnesses in some kind of way/shape/form. They knew that the Jews killed him and that God raised him from the dead. They knew that Jesus wasn't seen by everyone, but that he was seen by some people that God had chosen. 
People ate and drank with him after he rose from the dead. He just had holes in his hands and feet.


42He commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one whom God appointed as judge of the living and the dead. 43All the prophets testify about him that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name."

And then, after they ate and drank together he commanded them to tell people about himself. To tell people that he is the one that God chose and appointed as judge over the living and the dead. (And maybe the living dead too! Oh wait, that's just Jesus =P)
All of the prophets testified about him. They told people that if they believed in Jesus, they would receive forgiveness through his name. What a crazy/spectacular gift we have!


 44While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. 45The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. 46For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God.

Soooo interesting/awesome! Peter's still talking and the Holy Spirit is simply being poured out on these people. And the guys who came with Peter were like, 'woah. even these people who aren't us are being given the Holy Spirit. That's pretty sweet'
How did they know this? They were speaking in tongues and praising God. Always praising God...


   Then Peter said, 47"Can anyone keep these people from being baptized with water? They have received the Holy Spirit just as we have." 48So he ordered that they be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they asked Peter to stay with them for a few days.

Then Peter asks if anyone can keep them from being baptized with water (because they'd just been baptized in the Holy Spirit, basically.) So he ordered in the name of Jesus Christ that they be baptized. So they were and Peter stayed with them for a few days.




Okay. SOoo that's all fine and dandy. But I just took a break in the middle of that. And I read today's "My Utmost for His Highest" (by Oswald Chambers (I stand in awe of you [awe]oswald. I stand in AWE of you God;))
And it was good. So I'm going to post that here too. If you've already read it (*cough*katie*cough*) read it again. It's good. And I've memorized James 1:4, but this is a different translation (KJV, I'm guessing). And I like it.
So here ya go :) (This isn't actually the version that I read. I (I meaning Hannah) have the updated version. But I like this too)


TILL YOU ARE ENTIRELY HIS
"Let your endurance be a finished product, so that you may be finished and complete, with never a defect." James 1:4 (MOFFATT)
Many of us are all right in the main, but there are some domains in which we are slovenly. It is not a question of sin, but of the remnants of the carnal life which are apt to make us slovenly. Slovenliness is an insult to the Holy Ghost. There should be nothing slovenly, whether it be in the way we eat and drink, or in the way we worship God.
Not only must our relationship to God be right, but the external expression of that relationship must be right. Ultimately God will let nothing escape, every detail is under His scrutiny. In numberless ways God will bring us back to the same point over and over again. He never tires of bringing us to the one point until we learn the lesson, because He is producing the finished product. It may be a question of impulse, and again and again, with the most persistent patience, God has brought us back to the one particular point; or it may be mental wool-gathering, or independent individuality. God is trying to impress upon us the one thing that is not entirely right.
We have been having a wonderful time this Session over the revelation of God's Redemption, our hearts are perfect towards Him; His wonderful work in us makes us know that in the main we are right with Him. "Now," says the Spirit, through St. James, "let your endurance be a finished product." Watch the slipshod bits - "Oh, that will have to do for now." Whatever it is, God will point it out with persistence until we are entirely His.


I like the part that says "Let your endurance [patience in the other version] be a finished product." I like it.
NOW. Sleep.
Goodnight. I love you all. Even if I don't know who you are. :)

No comments: