Wednesday, October 27, 2010

NIPTO, Day 262

Hey y'all!

Today was a good day. Got up (with a little bit of difficulty) and got ready. Went to Spanish class. Laughed. I love that class. Then I was in study hall with Joy and Julia. That was fun too... I got a little bit of stuff done. Then Philip and Sean came in and Philip, Julia, and Joy started to do Hebrew and I got my Geometry stuff mostly done. Then we ate lunch (outside because it was nice!) and then I sat in on Mom's  science class and tried to get stuff done and kind of failed. Then I went to the Library while Mom went to the grocery store. I got Physics done and got some books. Thennn I came home and caught up on blogs and did lit and then went to Alpha!

Alpha was good. We had lasagna for dinner (yum!) annd talked about "evangelism" per se. He never actually used the word "evangelism" which was interesting.

Now I'm home. And I watched Survivor. Annnnnd am now watching Chuck from Monday.

So now I watch Chuck and chill until it's over and then I do NIPTO.

Ecclesiastes 1:12-18
12 I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13 I devoted myself to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under heaven. What a heavy burden God has laid on men! 14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.


A'ight. The person writing this was the king of Jerusalem. At some point. This person was devoted to studying and exploring and learning. Gaining wisdom. Then he says something that I find somewhat peculiar. "What a heavy burden God has laid on men!" Jesus said "My yolk is easy and my burden is light" Matthew 11:30. Hm. 
But the author goes on to point out that everything that they've seen is meaningless. Like chasing the wind. Which is pretty pointless.


 15 What is twisted cannot be straightened;
       what is lacking cannot be counted.

Things that are twisted (people, for instance, maybe?) can't be made straight. You can't count what you don't have. Interesting. 



 16 I thought to myself, "Look, I have grown and increased in wisdom more than anyone who has ruled over Jerusalem before me; I have experienced much of wisdom and knowledge." 17 Then I applied myself to the understanding of wisdom, and also of madness and folly, but I learned that this, too, is a chasing after the wind.
This person thought, "I've gained more wisdom than anyone who has ever ruled over Jerusalem before me! I've experienced so much wisdom and knowledge."
Then the applied themself to their understanding and realized that even their wisdom was like chasing after the wind. Lots of wind chasing going on here!


 18 For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
       the more knowledge, the more grief.





With much wisdom comes much sorrow. The more knowledge you have, the more grief.

I'll call that a true story. Tonight at Alpha, Nicky Gumbel who does the videos was saying that 15 million people will die this year because of preventable diseases. That knowledge brings me grief. Knowing that so many people will die needlessly. Sad stuff.


This verse also reminds me of "With great power comes great responsibility." NO clue who said it. Could probably Google it and find about 10 different answers. But I'll do it anyways, just for grins. If you really want to find it out, read this. I don't feel like actually reading it because it's kind of late, but if you really want to know the origin of that quote, go right ahead and read it! haha (I didn't actually realize that that quote is from Spider-Man! Yay me for being "uncultured" or something like that!)





Alrighty. Sooo I think I've established that Ecclesiastes is interesting. And now is the part where I go to bed. 
So goodnight my readers. Y'all are awesome. Don't forget it!

Much internet love&hugs,



No comments: