Thursday, October 28, 2010

NIPTO, Day 263

Hey all.
Today has been a long day.
I did school. Lots and lots of school. Watched Glee during lunch (The Rocky Horror Glee Show =P). Listened to a lot of Taylor Swift and The Avett Brothers. Good stuff. I want to listen to Taylor Swift's new album... I've heard from other people/Facebook that it's really good. Sooo yeah.
I talked to both of my sisters for a while. Babysat... that was a frustrating saga that I'm not going to make any of you suffer through. Annnd then I came home and ate dinner. Looked over my physics stuff. Didn't do as horribly as I thought I did. And now I'm listening to more Taylor Swift and blogging! Yay! I'm thinking about watching some Pushing Daisies... I like that show.

Soo yeah. I think I'll do NIPTO and then watch Pushing Daisies. :)

Ecclesiastes 2:1-11
1 I thought in my heart, "Come now, I will test you with pleasure to find out what is good." But that also proved to be meaningless.


The author thought he'd try some things to find out what was really good. If pleasure was good. But it proved to be meaningless. (Pleasure is something that is "proved good" in our society. Lame.)




2 "Laughter," I said, "is foolish. And what does pleasure accomplish?" 3 I tried cheering myself with wine, and embracing folly—my mind still guiding me with wisdom. I wanted to see what was worthwhile for men to do under heaven during the few days of their lives.


Laughter is foolish. Bold statement. I think laugher means... joy. But pleasure doesn't accomplish much. The author tried drinking and embracing the folly, but all while still being guided by his mind & wisdom. He wanted to see what was actually worthwhile. 


 4 I undertook great projects: I built houses for myself and planted vineyards. 5 I made gardens and parks and planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. 6 I made reservoirs to water groves of flourishing trees. 7 I bought male and female slaves and had other slaves who were born in my house. I also owned more herds and flocks than anyone in Jerusalem before me. 8 I amassed silver and gold for myself, and the treasure of kings and provinces. I acquired men and women singers, and a harem as well—the delights of the heart of man. 9 I became greater by far than anyone in Jerusalem before me. In all this my wisdom stayed with me.
He did lots of great things: built houses, planted things, made gardens and parks, made reservoirs, bought slaves, owned masses of flocks/herds. He had money and treasure. He had everything he could have ever wanted. He was greater than anyone in Jerusalem and he still had his wisdom. What more could you want? 


 10 I denied myself nothing my eyes desired;
       I refused my heart no pleasure.
       My heart took delight in all my work,
       and this was the reward for all my labor.
 
11 Yet when I surveyed all that my hands had done
       and what I had toiled to achieve,
       everything was meaningless, a chasing after the wind;
       nothing was gained under the sun.

He had everything he wanted. He didn't deny himself anything. His heart took delight in what he did and that was the reward for his work. But when he saw everything that he had done and what he had worked so hard on, he realized that everything was meaningless. Nothing was gained from his work. Bummer.




This isn't exactly a
happy book. So far. It gets there... kind of. Hah.

OOH! I forgot to mention that I got my ring today! The store called and said that it was in, and Mom and Dad happened to be down by the mall, so they picked it up for me :) I love it!



Isn't it pretty?
It's my 16th birthday ring, if you missed that! :)
I'm going to go watch some Pushing Daisies now, kay? Kay. Have a good evening!

No comments: