Saturday, May 22, 2010

NIPTO, Day 104

"Gooooood morning everyone! Today's the day! The sun is shining, the tank is clean...... *GASP* the tank is clean. THE TANK IS CLEAN!"
Oh. Wait. The sun isn't exactly shining... The "tank" (house) is clean. But that's a good thing.  Annnnd it's supposed to rain from about 1-9pm today. Which is basically when Hannah's party is. But it'll be okay. We'll get this thing worked out. Weather.com isn't always that accurate, right? (heh... heh.) OOH! I just heard my dad say downstairs that it looks like it's going to "roll on by us"! YAY!


Man. I just got a swift kick in the pants. Thanks to 100 Days of Holiness. These devotionals usually give me a boost or a kick when I need them. It's almost like they know that "at about this point, these people are going to go through something like this." It's kind of ridiculous. Because the Day 20 (today's!) devotional was exactly what I needed.
Thank you 100 Days people!


Katie, my sister, is in Germany right now. She's been there for almost a week. She left a week ago today. She was supposed to go on a hiking trip today, but the "Hurricane Projectile Sneezer" hit her roommate earlier in the week, and Katie got some form of what she had. So she's staying home from hiking today. But she's going to Berlin and Potsdam tomorrow. I think. You can read her blog (that hasn't been updated in the past day *cough*cough*) here :) Check it out. She's funny. I love her!

I think NIPTO is in order. And then breakfast. And then setting up more for the graduation party. And then the graduation party! WOOT!


Romans 12:9-21
 9Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

This begins a section that is headed "Love" 
Don't fake love. Be sincere. Hate what is evil. Yes. There is a command to hate in the Bible. Cling to, for your life, what is good. 

10Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves.

I like this "brotherly love" stuff. I would say I'm devoted to people with a "brotherly (or sisterly) love."
Honor one another above yourselves. That's a hard thing to do. Our world to day is so "me" centered that it's hard to constantly be in a mindset to put others before yourself. For me at least.  


11Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord.

I see all of these as mini commands. Because that's what they are. Don't get boring. Stay excited for God. Serve him with everything you have because it will make life more exciting!


12Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. 13Share with God's people who are in need. Practice hospitality.

This is a good series of things that are sometimes really hard to do. 
When you're hoping, it usually means things are down. Be joyful.
When there's affliction, things are definitely down. Be patient.
And just be faithful in prayer. Because it gets you through a lot. 



14Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. 16Live in harmony with one another. Do not be proud, but be willing to associate with people of low position. Do not be conceited.

Bless and do not curse those who persecute you. Rejoice with the people who rejoice! Mourn with the people who mourn. Don't fight. Live in harmony with one another. Don't put yourself so high up that you feel like you can't associate with another person. That's called being conceited. Don't do it.  
(That sounds a little hippyish, don't you think? Live in harmony with everyone... I thought so while I was typing it. haha)


17Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.

Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Because that won't help you at all. 
The next part is difficult. And impossible. Because to do right in the eyes of one person is to do wrong in the eyes of another. 
My reasoning would be: Do what is right in God's eyes and that's all that really matters.


18If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.

The key phrase here is, "as far as it depends on you" because there is only so much you can do.  (Again, this is a little "hippy" but still Bible :)


19Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

God's got your back. He'll get people back. He has holy wrath. (I'd be scared of that)



20On the contrary:
   "If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
      if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
   In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."

In the end, doing the "love your enemy" thing really works out. You're nice to them, you feed them, you give them something to drink... you're heaping burning coals on their head. Intensity right there.

21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

And lastly, don't let evil overcome you. Overcome evil with good. Because that's good. (Lame. I know.)


Okay. Well. I'm starving, so I'm going to go eat breakfast. Annnnd then do all that stuff that I had up there. So. I will try to take a ton of pictures and post some of them on here so you can see how awesome this party was! :D
Thanks for reading today!

No comments: