Tuesday, May 4, 2010

NIPTO, Day 86

Just another Tuesday morning. I went for a walk. It was a gorgeous morning. Not quite 60 degrees. That's warm enough to walk in shorts and a sweatshirt. I took my camera. (My camera that currently has 2,366 pictures on it. That's not quite normal for me. Oh yeah. That's only a month of pictures (March 29-May 4) EEK. I think today while I'm doing school, I'm going to take pictures off of my camera. I mean, I only have 509 pictures left on my 8GB card... I could take the rest of those today! hah. Not really funny. I think I have an obsession with photography. Now if I only had the motivation to take the pictures off my card as I do to put them on.)
And I listened to my worship mix that Brandon made for the NIPTOers. It was nice. I think my neighbor caught me air drumming... hahaha.
It was a good walk. Now I'm tired. And it's only 7:30. And I have to get through Urban Vision later. Crazyy.
I'm eating a Cinnamon Crunch Bagel from Panera Bread. YUM.
Now: Romans. This was supposed to be a long one, but I decided it was too long. So you're not going to have to read (or skip *cough*Hannah*cough*) as much.

Romans 7:7-13
7What shall we say, then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! Indeed I would not have known what sin was except through the law. For I would not have known what coveting really was if the law had not said, "Do not covet."

The law isn't sin. We just discover what sin really is because of the law. We wouldn't be able to sin if we didn't have some kind of rules and expectations placed upon us to break. But we've broken them and now we know what sin is. Hurrah... or not.
 

8But sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, produced in me every kind of covetous desire. For apart from law, sin is dead.

See? "Apart from the law, sin is dead." There would be no sin if there were no law. The first commandment of God's that was broken was to not eat off of the tree. If Eve and Adam had never eaten off of the tree, there would be no sin. But because they directly disobeyed God, it led to more sin. Because "sin... produced in me every kind of covetous desire." So A&E wanted more. Boo hiss on them. They ruined it for the rest of us. Even though someone else would've screwed up along the way. =P 

9Once I was alive apart from law; but when the commandment came, sin sprang to life and I died. 10I found that the very commandment that was intended to bring life actually brought death.

We were all happy-go-lucky and then we received the law. And sin came to life. And we died. :'( The law is supposed to be freeing. But because we're incapable of being perfect, the law harmed us more than it helped us. I'm using past tense because Jesus came and died for us so that we are released from the law. We can't die because of it (but we are still to uphold it. Remember  Romans 3:31? yeah.). Sweet, huh? 

 
11For sin, seizing the opportunity afforded by the commandment, deceived me, and through the commandment put me to death.

Sin takes every opportunity it can get to get us down. It saw that we were given this law, and it comes and it tempts us to do exactly opposite of what the law says. And then we do it. And then we "die." We do die, but not really. Go up to the last bold paragraph if you don't remember what this "dieing but not really dieing" thing is about.


12So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good

Basically, the law is the best. That's all.


13Did that which is good, then, become death to me? By no means! But in order that sin might be recognized as sin, it produced death in me through what was good, so that through the commandment sin might become utterly sinful.

So, sin was sin, and was proved sinful? OH my. Okay. Really: The good thing (the law) didn't become death. It produced death. It's a byproduct. Or something... But it produced death so that sin would be recognized as something that brings death and that is completely bad. 
Got it? I think I do... I think.


Oh my. *yawn* It's about 8:30... And I guess I'm going to start that school gig. (It really cuts into the day, huh?) My friends at GHS don't have school today because it's primary election day and they use the schools for voting. So I get to be at home... while they're at home. That doesn't work. Let me rephrase that: I get to do school at home while they lounge around at home. Oh bother. (Whinny the Pooh anyone?)
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I just thought of the YouTube video of the day! This is one of my all time favorite videos. My mom's too. We'll watch it randomly because it is adorable. Enjoy Miss Capucine! She's adorable!

No comments: