Tuesday, August 24, 2010

NIPTO, Day 198

OH. My. (Starry eyed surprise).


Yeah. Sooooo. I am super duper tired right now. I babysat from 8-5 today.
He slept for the first hour. Then he watched TV for a while. And then we... went outside and played some basketball... and did a bunch of stuff.
The most memorable thing was making cookies today.
We came down to my house (he lives just up the street) to make chocolate chip cookies!
Soo.... we're making the cookies and we're putting everything in them... and I saw three "1 tsp"s in a row on the recipe. So I put in 1 tsp of baking soda, 1tsp of baking powder, and 1 tsp of salt. The last tsp was supposed to be vanilla. NOT baking powder. Heh. That was my first mistake.
So I go over the rest of the recipe (after putting in everything else that we needed... almost.) and called it good. So I put the cookies on the sheet and into the oven. Annnnd we wait for a little bit. Then I turn on the light in the oven and look at them and there is a HUGE pool of cookie... not dough on the cookie sheet. And I'm like... UHHHHHH. WHAT? And Meme asked "Did you put in the flour?" Me: Uhhhhh no. OOPS.
So we put in flour and they were fine. The baking powder didn't really affect them that much. They were just a little... fluffier than usual. :)

I'm guessing that I'll never forget to put FLOUR in my cookies again! But they were good cookies. So it didn't really matter!

That was basically my day. Babysitting. *yawn* I'm tired. Like I've said before.
I chilled on the computer and then ate dinner with the fam. They went on a walk &I took a shower.
Now we're listening to Dad read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. The end of it. Hurrah! =P

It's fantastic. And there was no way I could blog through it! But I can put stuff in my planner! Football games, soccer games, babysitting, BoW, dance, Urban Vision, etc. There's a lot of stuff on my calendar! It's pretty crazy.

NIPTO!

Acts 18:1-17
1After this, Paul left Athens and went to Corinth. 2There he met a Jew named Aquila, a native of Pontus, who had recently come from Italy with his wife Priscilla, because Claudius had ordered all the Jews to leave Rome. Paul went to see them, 3and because he was a tentmaker as they were, he stayed and worked with them. 4Every Sabbath he reasoned in the synagogue, trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.


Again with the traveling! They basically travel everywhere in Asia Minor... or something. He met this guy named Aquila&his wife Priscilla. They were in Corinth because the current emperor made everyone leave Rome. So Paul went to see him, and since they were all three (both? I don't know what Priscilla did) tent-makers, he stayed with them and worked with them. And every sabbath he would go out to the synagogue and talk&reason with the Jews&Greeks there.





 5When Silas and Timothy came from Macedonia, Paul devoted himself exclusively to preaching, testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ. 6But when the Jews opposed Paul and became abusive, he shook out his clothes in protest and said to them, "Your blood be on your own heads! I am clear of my responsibility. From now on I will go to the Gentiles."

Silas&Timothy came and joined him from Macedonia. When they came, Paul stopped his tent-making and was completely immersed in preaching to the Jews that Jesus was really Christ. But, of course, the Jews opposed Paul and were abusive. He kind of cleared himself of blame. Because they were horrible to him.


 7Then Paul left the synagogue and went next door to the house of Titius Justus, a worshiper of God. 8Crispus, the synagogue ruler, and his entire household believed in the Lord; and many of the Corinthians who heard him believed and were baptized.


Paul left the synagogue where the people were being abusive and went to the house next door. To the house of Titus Justus. He believed in God. Hurrah! He talked, apparently, to the synagogue ruler (HEAD HONCHO!) and he&his household believed in God and a lot of the people who heard him speak in general were baptized. 

 9One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision: "Do not be afraid; keep on speaking, do not be silent. 10For I am with you, and no one is going to attack and harm you, because I have many people in this city." 11So Paul stayed for a year and a half, teaching them the word of God.

Paul was sleeping and God gave him a vision/spoke to him. I think dreams are somewhere that we might underestimate God's presence. But he can be as much in a dream as in real, day-to-day, life!
God encouraged Paul to not be afraid and to persevere because GOD was going to protect him. His people in the city would protect Paul. So Paul stayed in Corinth for a year and a half and taught the people the Bible!


12While Gallio was proconsul of Achaia, the Jews made a united attack on Paul and brought him into court. 13"This man," they charged, "is persuading the people to worship God in ways contrary to the law."
  14Just as Paul was about to speak, Gallio said to the Jews, "If you Jews were making a complaint about some misdemeanor or serious crime, it would be reasonable for me to listen to you. 15But since it involves questions about words and names and your own law—settle the matter yourselves. I will not be a judge of such things." 16So he had them ejected from the court.17Then they all turned on Sosthenes the synagogue ruler and beat him in front of the court. But Gallio showed no concern whatever.
This guy, Gallio was part of the judicial panel in Achaia. And a bunch of the Jews attacked Paul and took him into court. Their charge against him was that he was "persuading the people to worship GOD (of all people!) in ways contrary to the law." Incredible!

So Paul's about to make his defense when Gallio tells them that since it's about their own personal religious rules, and isn't a complaint about a misdemeanor or crime that they should settle it themselves. He kind of copped out, but I don't blame him. It wasn't really his job to settle religious matters...
He's a smart guy. He had them removed from the courth. Then they all went to the synagogue ruler and beat him in front of the court. But Gallio wasn't really bothered by that.
Did the guy not have a conscience? Or something! Kind of crazy. I get him copping out of the case, but to ignore someone being beaten in front of the court? A little... ridiculous.





G'bye!

P.S. Do you like my new layout? It kinda sorta took forever to figure out. The stupid new blogger template designer makes it impossible to have a background from a third party... *sigh*
So you have to go with the other stuff that they give you.
P.P.S. The end of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is FANTASTIC! I can't wait for these movies :)



No comments: