Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The Barbarian Way: The Barbarian Invasion (Chapter 1)

I'm reading The Barbarian Way by Erwin Raphael McManus.


That's the book cover. It is a fantastic book. It's all about not being a civilized Christian. It's about being raw and open to what God is calling you to. I think in this post I might just post some quotes and my thoughts about the quotes from the book. I personally think that everyone should read this. And if you've read it, GREAT... read it again! If you've never read it, I probably have an extra copy laying around that I would be willing to lend to you *wink wink* (as long as you give it back!) P.S. You can get a used copy on Amazon for like... 3 bucks. It's like 12 if you get it new. Or you can get it at the library... that's free! (Unless you have a bad habit of forgetting when things are due... then it can get kinda pricey =P)
Those are just a few of the many ways you can get a copy of The Barbarian Way. Now, onto the book itself! Everything that is bold is a quote from the book. The (number) next to it will be the page number.

"It's hard to imagine that Jesus would endure the agony of the cross just to keep us in line. Jesus began a revolution to secure our freedom" (McManus 7). 

Sooo this is  really good point. Jesus didn't die just so we would be "good." He died so that we would be free. So we would be changed. 


The barbarian way is about love, intimacy, passion, and sacrifice. Barbarians love to life and live to love. For them God is life, and their mission is to reconnect humanity to him. Their passion is that each of us might life in intimate communion with Him who died for us. The barbarian way is a path of both spirit and truth. The soul of the barbarian is made alive by the presence of Jesus. (13)

I can think I honestly say that I want to be one of these barbarian people. (My sister says that she is a barbarian warrior princess. I, however, am a barbarian warrior princess in training. The "barbarian warrior princess in training" part is written on my mirror in dry erase marker. True story. Back to the book!) I don't know if I can honestly say that my passion is for every other person to live their life in such a way that they're in intimate communion with God. I think I just want that for myself. Selfish girl! (P&P quote anyone?) I do want to be made alive by the mere presence of Jesus. Oh wait. I am. I have the Holy Spirit living inside of me. I am alive. But am I spiritually alive? I'd like to think so. I read my bible. I'm doing NIPTO for heavens sake. (If you don't know what NIPTO is, read the side bar. It's what this blog is all about :)


Ah. Now McManus gets into talking a little bit more about Braveheart. It seems like  Braveheart is mentioned a lot in Christian circles... not really sure why, but it is. Maybe it's because it has a good message of fighting for your King. 

He's calling you to fight for the heart of you King. For some, doing this will be just way too barbaric, but for others, their only option will be to choose the barbarian way. (15)

Am I really willing to go into battle and really fight for the heart of My King? Am I willing to die for him? 


Because Jesus did not suffer and die so that we could build for ourselves havens, but so that we might expand the kingdom of His love. Because invisible kingdoms are at war for the hearts and lives of every human being who walks on the face of this earth. And times of war require barbarians who are willing to risk life itself for the freedom of others. The irony, of course, is that barbarians are driven away in times of peace--they only disrupt our communities, traditions, and sensibilities. It is only in the most desperate of times--times of war or conflict---that these outcasts are welcomed or even invited to return. (16)

Woah. I've heard it said so many times that there is a spiritual battle going on for every human being, and I get it, but I don't think I really do. But I want to be a barbarian that fights for their hearts. For the heart of my King. For the hearts of his people.  It's intense, but I want to be in the middle of it!


Jesus is being lost in a religion bearing His name. People are being lost because they cannot reconcile Jesus' association with Christianity. Christianity has become docile, domesticated, civilized. We have forgotten that there is a kingdom of darkness stealing the hopes and dreams and souls of a humanity without God. It is time to hear the barbarian call, to form a barbarian tribe, and to unleash the barbarian revolt. (17)

This is SO true! People don't want to accept what Jesus has done for them because they get so wrapped up in the fact that Jesus is the face of Christianity. So so so many people have been burned by the church. What happens when you get burned and you get close to something hot again? You pull away. It's so sad that that has happened, but unfortunately it has and that is something that a lot of people are dealing with. 


Thanks for reading this uuber long post. If you actually read this post straight through to here, I'll give you a piece of candy!

No comments: