Thursday, March 11, 2010

NIPTO, Day 32

Hi. It was another gorgeous day today! Bummer I couldn't really enjoy it since a) I have a ton of school and b) I'm still sick. But I'm getting better... I think. So that's good. For sure. But my stomach muscles are getting sore from all this coughing.

I've realized that I like to type in extremely short, concise sentences. But really long wordy ones when it comes to essays. Which is good... I think.

I just spent about an hour reading posts from the Compassion Bloggers Trip to Kenya. Their posts are inspiring. I was brought to tears while reading many of them. The poverty in Kenya is enormous, but their hearts and their hope is bigger than their poverty, which is why, I think, they can get through so much with so little. I feel like I'm over-privileged and they're under-privileged. Before my parents left for their Bible Study tonight, my mom told me to "be safe." To us, being safe is not doing anything dangerous. To the people of Kenya, it's going somewhere where they're protected from the depravity of the world. (I think depravity is the word I want... but it could be another word.)
I'd encourage you to go read a couple of the posts. It makes you realize how big the world is and how good we have it here in America. These posts are eye-opening and make you realize what real poverty is. Go read them. They're amazing. But you might want to grab a couple tissues first. Especially if you cry easily. Like me.

Back to my boring blogging. =P

Acts 4:12-13-"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." 13When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. I like verse 12 because it's in one of my favorite songs, Even When written and performed by Christine Kimball. I can't find it online anywhere, so you'll just have to buy Everyone's A Poet's CD! (You can still listen to Christine's beautiful voice on their MySpace page :) And I like verse 13 because it shows that even though Peter and John were ordinary guys, they were still noticed... I want to be an ordinary person who gets noticed, ya know?


Proverbs 11:24-One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. This takes me back to the Kenya trip. The people of Kenya, so I'm told, are generous and extremely compassionate. They may be poor, but they are rich in spirit. In America, we have so much that we can give, but we're pretty spiritually dead.


Revelation 11:12- Then they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, "Come up here." And they went up to heaven in a cloud, while there enemies looked on. This tells of two prophets who after prophesying for 1,260 days, being killed, and raised again, are called to heaven to be with God. Crazy.


Hebrews 11:16-Instead, they were longing for a better country--a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them. Kenya. Again. If you don't read any of the posts, please read this one. It's fantastic. It shows how these people know that nothing is forever.

Now I'm going to watch Survivor... maybe The Office... then I'm going to go to SLEEP.

I'm going to post a picture of the sunshine... someday... once I find my USB cable that connects my camera to the computer! Can't remember where it is... Heh.

Hope you had a great day!

No comments: