Tuesday, March 30, 2010

NIPTO, Day 51

I officially had to guard the candy sources in my house today. My sister was doing homework and the M&M's were locked in the bathroom, and she gave me her Whoppers Robin Eggs for me to guard... I think that it was a little out of hand... but she got her homework done! 


Holy week: the week leading up to Easter. Consists of Maundy (not sure if I spelled that right) Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday. The last week of Lent.


Today I am reading about: 


The authority of Jesus questioned: Matthew 21:23-27, Mark 11:27-33, Luke 20:1-8


Jesus was smart. He didn't give out answers willy-nilly. He made people think... or pay in some way or another. The chief priest, teachers of the law, and the elders asked Jesus where he got his authority. He didn't give them an answer, nooo. He asked them a question with a condition: If they answer, he would give them his answer. Was John's baptism from heaven or men. Well... they couldn't say from heaven because Jesus would rebuke them and ask why they didn't believe John. But they couldn't say from men because the people believed that John was a prophet... they would stone them. So the told Jesus that they didn't know. Jesus: "Neither will I tell you by what authority I am doing these things" -Luke 20:8




Jesus teaches in the temple: Matthew 21:28-23:39, Mark 12:1-44, Luke 20:9-21:4


I would like to reiterate the fact that Jesus was smart. He spoke directly to certain groups, and they knew it. The parable about the vineyard and the workers for example. They knew it was being "preached" at them. They started to plan&plot how they were going to kill Jesus, but the were afraid of the people. This shows how influential Jesus was in my opinion. If the people in charge were afraid of what the lower class people would do, you have someone influential on your hands. That was a problem for the "teachers of the law" and the priests.  A problem that will shortly be remedied. (Princess Bride anyone?)




Jesus anointed: Matthew 26:6-13, Mark 14:3-9, John 12:2-11


I decided to see what Google has to say about Nard. Nard is the perfume that "a woman," Mary, poured over Jesus. It says in John that it was about a pint. A pint is a lot of perfume when it comes to perfume. I remember talking about this section in Sunday School last year around this time I think. Matt, our sunday school teacher, asked if anyone had any kind of perfume on them. I had some Bath&Body Works peach body spray. I sprayed like... 5 squirts into the air. The room reeked of peach body spray. (They didn't like me very much...) But imagine a whole pint of perfume being poured over Jesus' head. That room had to smell. Google took me to a site that had some information about nard. It says that it "has intense, warm, fragrant, musky notes, similar to the aromas of humus." Mmmmm... humus... interesting, eh?


Another thing that Matthew and Mark record is that Jesus says that it was "a beautiful thing" that she did to him. I'm pretty sure that if I were one of the disciples, I would've been kinda mad at Mary. That perfume was expensive. It says it was worth a year's wages. That is a ton of money today. But the disciples didn't realized that what she was doing was very symbolic. She was anointing him for his burial. (He probably still smelled like the perfume when he was buried... heh.) No one would have been expecting his death except for Jesus. Sure he warned them about it, but none of them took him seriously. But Mary apparently knew something. I don't know how, but she did. 


It is now LATE... again. But it was totally worth it to stay up "late" and do that. I mean... it's only 10-to-midnight... that's not that bad... I should get at least 7 1/2 hours of sleep =P 
I'm going to see The Blind Side at the dollar theater in North Canton tomorrow. It should be fun. I told my mom today "We're going to see 2 movies in the same week... how weird is that?!?" It really is strange for our family... the last movie I saw before Alice In Wonderland was Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince at the dollar theater... that was like, last fall. Crazy. Well, it should be a fun day! 


Keep thinking about the "reason for the season" as they say around Christmas. The reason is almost more important. If Jesus hadn't died for our sins, there's no knowing where we'd be now...
Have a good... day? night? time of day...

No comments: