Monday, March 29, 2010

NIPTO, Day 50

Wow. 50 days. That's like... a long time. But sweet none the less.

Forgiveness and reminders:


I took this picture today when we (My mom and sisters and I) were at Starbucks. 
This 3 link chain actually belongs to Hannah, but I have one that is pretty much exactly the same. But different. But that's not the point. The point is that these chains represent sin. We got them at High School Leadership Training (HSLT or LT) in, I want to say 2008. But I'm not sure. But I think it was. We got  on Tuesday night. Tuesday night is traditionally "worship night." There's not really a teaching on Tuesday... just music and worshiping. But we got to throw the chains, our sins, at the cross to remind us that God got rid of our sins for us by dying on the cross. We were allowed to take a chain afterwards as a reminder. I wear mine on another chain as a necklace sometimes and Hannah wears hers on a lanyard. It's a good reminder. 


This week for NIPTO, as it is Holy Week, the week leading up to Jesus's death on Friday, we, the NIPTO-ers and you if you'd like(!), are going to be reading through the last week of Jesus's life in all four Gospels: Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John. I'm not completely sure what exactly I'm supposed to be reading, but I have a general idea, so here goes nothing. 

I guess today I'm going to focus on Peter a little. Well, a lot. But you know what I mean.

Matthew 26:33-Peter replied, "Even if all fall away on account of you, I never will." 

A couple thoughts about this. 1) Peter was cocky. He thought he couldn't fail. At least that's what I think. 2) I find the phrase "on account of you" interesting. I don't know if I've ever really noticed it before. Okay. Just google searched "on account of definition" and www.thefreedictionary.com gave me this: for the sake of; by reason of; because of. If all fall away for the sake of you. I gotta admit, this doesn't really make sense... maybe looking at the other gospels will help...


Mark 14:29-Peter declared, "Even if all fall away, I will not."

This is a little less confusing. He's basically convinced that he is the most faithful. On to the next one!


Luke 22:33-But then he replied "Lord, I am ready to go with you to prison and to death." 

Well. That's good I guess. Because Peter did go to prison. And he was killed. Just not with Jesus. (Luke is probably the lengthiest gospel writer...)


John 13:37-Peter asked, "Lord, why can't I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you. 

Okay. I take it back. John might be the lengthiest writer... although his book is about 75% different from the other three, if I remember correctly. But seriously. The other books are 3ish chapters about Holy Week. (Kind of... not counting from the "triumphal entry" to the end... just the Passover feast) John is like, 8 chapters. Crazy =P 
It's interesting how Peter's statement morphs from "Even if everyone else falls away, I won't" to "I'll die for you." It would be so fascinating to know what he actually said... but I won't know that until heaven. 

Today has been a good day. I hope you had a good day too!

No comments: